Is Brooklyn Safe for Visitors?

Being the birthplace of the late East-Coast rapper, Christopher Wallace (Notorious B.I.G), is Brooklyn safe for visitors?

Sometimes one might stay and wonder why people actually make the mistake of staying in a place that’s not safe for them ignorantly. Most times, this can be attributed to them wanting to stay in a place just because of what the name of the place sounds like and not necessarily caring to know what living there actually feels like.

Is-Brooklyn-Safe-for-Visitors

Choosing the right place to visit depends on so many factors, but your safety stands out as the #1 determining factor. Thus, it is important to make a reasonable research or do a background check on the safety of the place you intend to visit even before checking out how affordable it is.

Is Brooklyn Safe for Visitors?

Words from the prominent late hip-hop artist (Notorious Biggie Smalls) as a place for the hustlers, drug dealers and a whole lot of criminal activities; but is the gangster rapper really right about all that? Or is Brooklyn safe for visitors?

Brooklyn, New York city got its name from the Dutch village of Breukelen and was consolidated with New York City on January 1st, 1898. The official motto here is “Een Draght Mackt Maght” which translates from early Dutch as “Unity makes strength” that pretty much describes the inhabitants of the city. Brooklyn is the most populous among the five boroughs in New York city:

  1. Bronx
  2. Staten Island
  3. Queens
  4. Brooklyn
  5. Manhattan

This can be attributed to the history it holds as far back as the 17th century. Over the years, Brooklyn has built for itself a dazzling reputation by being home to New York’s most famous attractions.

Some of these attractions include Coney Island, the Brooklyn Bridge, and Prospect Park.

Brooklyn also stands out as one of the best places to stay in New York due to its many bars, restaurants, coffee shops, and parks that can be explored by visitors. The city is the hometown of some of the world’s most famous celebrities like Christopher Wallace, Larry David, Woody Allen, Jay Z, Michael Jordan, Barbara Streisand, Judge Judy, Eddie Murphy, Nas, Spike Lee, Al Capone, and Adam Sandler.

All these amazing features attract tourists from around the world to this place yearly

Safety in Brooklyn

The Jamaican, Mr. Edwards was the first person who lived in Brooklyn to sell crack (the smokable derivative of cocaine) in the Bedford-Stuyvesant area back then in the 1980s (1985 to be more specific).

And basically, what makes a place unsafe for living are as a result of activities like drug dealing, an increase in the rate of alcoholism, prostitution and other criminal related activities; and back then in Brooklyn, all these activities were on the rise.

But what about now? Is Brooklyn safe for visitors?

Also Read: Is Daytona Beach Safe?

Well, Brooklyn today can be considered as safe for visitors, but still, there are some odd rankings that might make you reconsider staying here.

Brooklyn ranks in the 15th percentile for safety – meaning that 85% of the city is safe, while the other 15% of cities are quite dangerous to visit. Relating to the general statistics of the city of New York, Brooklyn has a crime rate that is higher than 91% of the state’s cities and towns of all sizes.

And compared to the other New York’s boroughs, Brooklyn has the highest count, with the Bronx coming second in a list of most dangerous neighborhoods to stay in New York.

However, this should not frighten you especially if you’re just going to Brooklyn for a visit. Below is a list of the 10 most safest neighborhoods to visit in Brooklyn:

  • Kensington
  • Borough Park
  • Bensonhurst
  • Sheepshead Bay
  • Flatlands
  • Park Slope
  • Bay Ridge
  • Sunset Park
  • Canarsie
  • Carroll Gardens

These can be further broken down in the table as shown below:

NeighborhoodsPopulationViolent Crimes per 100kProperty Crimer per 100k
Kensington1,17649202
Borough Park155,256200682
Bensonhurst115,043252766
Sheepshead Bay255,533263977
Flatlands206,460304973
Park Slope77,6622071,205
Bay Ridge77,0292761,214
Sunset Park106,6994801,090
Canarsie147,1574171,232
Carroll Gardens25,5762701,687

Conclusion

Sometimes due to the high population, crime rates may grow higher in a place, even for places that could have been considered safe.

This is usually because crime happens where people are really dense, whether they live there or not.

Before you write off an area as unsafe, look at both the crime rate and total crime maps, then consider nearby destinations that people may be visiting within that area.

Get Our Updates on Telegram

Leave a Comment